You didn’t have to look hard in 2018 to find folks talking about tax – especially on social media. Thanks to tax reform, SALT became a common term outside of the culinary world. Section 199A made headlines (and headlines and headlines). And, the complexities of sales tax were debated at the Supreme Court and in your Twitter stream.
Twitter is a great way to stay on top of tax news, tax information, and tax policy all over the world. You can share links, data, updates, and photos – or simply lurk and read your feed (though it’s certainly more fun when you engage). It’s like a virtual cocktail party: you can network and exchange stories at your convenience – only you don’t have to dress up if you don’t want to.
If you’re looking to join in, just in time for the new year, here are the top 100 must-follow tax Twitter accounts for 2019:
IRS* (Twitter list):
(1) @IRSnews - IRS – IRS news and guidance for the public, the press and practitioners. IRS doesn’t collect comments or messages on this site.
(2) @AnnyPachnerIRS - Anny Pachner – IRS Media Spokesperson.
(4) @IRStaxsecurity – IRS Tax Security – The IRS doesn’t collect comments.
(5) @IRS_Patricia – Patricia Russomagno – IRS Public Relations Specialist. Note: IRS does not collect comments and messages on this site.
Forbes Tax Writers & Regular Contributors (Twitter list):
(6) @ashleaebeling - Ashlea Ebeling – Associate Editor, Forbes
(7) @janetnovack - Janet Novack – Forbes Washington Bureau Chief & Personal Finance Editor / I follow tax, budget and retirement policy & planning.
(9) @peterreillycpa - Peter Reilly – We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection.
Tax-Related Orgs (Twitter list):
(10) @ABATaxSection - ABA Tax Section – The ABA Section of Taxation
(11) @AICPA - AICPA – The official Twitter account of the American Institute of CPAs
(12) @NATPTAX - NATP – The National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) serves professionals through tax education, research, updates, publications and office supplies.
(13) @NSAtax - NSA – National Society of Accountants (NSA) is the association for Main Street tax and accounting professionals.
Tax Professionals, Firms & Companies (Twitter list):
(19) @Avalara - Avalara - Tax compliance done right. Cloud-based solution for various transactional taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types.
(21) @BrandonHarbeke - Brandon Harbeke, CPA – Tax CPA specializing in partnerships and corporations; sci-fi watcher and reader; classical and country music listener
(22) @BrightTax - Greg Dewald – CEO of Bright!Tax, the go-to cloud based US income tax preparation firm for the estimated 9 million Americans living overseas. Expat Tax Provider of the Year. Forbes Top 100 Tax Tweeters.
(25) @cbriancpa – Brian Streig, CPA – CPA focusing on tax planning, compliance, start-ups & entrepreneurs. Plus tweets about Austin, TX, food and my puppy.
(27) @DonnaLCPA - Donna Laubscher – Tax CPA, especially fond of Form 1040; avid outside-of-tax-season reader, live theater, baseball & football spectator; iced tea addict (hydrate in the desert)
(28) @GreenbackTax – Greenback Expat Tax – Greenback makes life better for American expats living abroad. We offer tax filing and IRS representation for US expats in 212+ countries. File from anywhere.
(29) @HowardGinsberg - CPA, Tax, Financial & Accounting Services. Wealth Management. http://www.ginsbergcpa.com Forbes Top Must Follow Tax List. Voted Best of Long Island.
(30) @joebwan - Joe Kristan – Tax guy. Former proprietor, Tax Update Blog. Currently with Eide Bailly LLP. Views are mine (who else would want them?)
(31) @JPorterCPA – Jeffrey A. Porter, CPA – Tax Practitioner, Tax policy aficionado, Past Chair—AICPA Tax Executive Committee, Past Chair—AICPA Tax Reform Task Force & fan of Kiawah Island
(32) @kerryfreemanea - Kerry Freeman, EA – Tax Professional, Member of National Association of EAs, Arizona Society of EAs and owner of Freeman Income Tax Service in Anthem, AZ. Licensed by U.S. Treasury
(34) @LTWLAW - Income Tax, Small-Business & Estate Planning – FREE review of your existing Estate Plan & basic Estate Plans starting at $950.
(35) @MelindaNCPA – Melinda Nelson, CPA – CPA, explainer of all things tax, mom of 3, musical theater geek, fan of soccer & Iowa State basketball, just an Iowa girl at heart.
(36) @MissTaxCat - Jina Etienne – Love my family Always curious • Eternally grateful | Director – D&I, Grant Thornton (Opinions mine) | Accounting Today Top 100 (2016, 2017 & 2018)
(37) @NathanPClark - Nathan Clark – Tax geek, beer aficionado, dog lover, boardgamer, marathon runner. Prone to extreme sarcasm and dry humor. Opinions are my own.
(40) @raniacombs - Rania Combs – Attorney with a completely web-based law firm who helps Texans prepare their wills, trusts and estate plans online, without the usual overhead.
(41) @rileytaxtweets - Peter J. Riley CPA – Peter Riley is the author of The New Tax Guide for Writers, Artists, Performers & Other Creative People and specializes in taxation for creative individuals.
(42) @RobKovacev - Rob Kovacev – Tax attorney, DOJ alum. Tax controversy & tax for #innovation/#AI/#robotics. Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow. Views my own.rsy, int’l tax, tax policy for #innovation/#AI/#robotics. Views are my own.
(44) @ShaynaCPA - Shayna Chapman – CPA.CITP, CGMA, Tech addict. Forward thinker. Smiler. Mom. Trying to control my addiction to chocolate chip cookies.
(45) @SovosCompliance – Sovos Compliance – Safeguarding businesses from burdens and risk of compliance with the world’s first global tax compliance and business-to-government reporting software platform.
(48) @taxguru - Amit Chandel CPA CTC – Certified Tax Planner/Exit Strategies/Tax Resolution/Business Valuations
(49) @TaxHatchet - Brent A. Auberry – Attorney, Faegre Baker Daniels, focusing on State & Local Tax, Sec., American Propety Tax Counsel (Tweets are my own & not legal advice; RTs not endorsements)
(50) @TaxJar - Tax Jar – Making sales tax compliance simple for more than 15,000 online businesses & developers
(52) @TheSETaxGuy – Tyrone Gregory, The Self-Employed Tax Guy – On a mission to save the Self-Employed and creator of the Self-Employed Tax Academy Online Course Go ahead… shamelessly steal a copy of my “Cheat Sheet” here.
(54) @VertexInc. - Vertex – The official Twitter account of Vertex, Inc. the company that allows you to unleash the strategic power of tax.
(55) @VLJeker - V. La Torre Jeker – US Tax – Dubai since 2001. NYS Bar 34 yrs; admitted US Tax Court. US/int’l tax planning, expatriation, OVDP, FATCA. Forbes Top 100 Tax Twitter Account 2017,2018
Tax Writers, Bloggers & Gurus (Twitter list):
(56) @alhstn - Amy Hamilton – Chief Correspondent (State) for Tax Analysts.
(57) @BillSheridan - Bill Sheridan – Cuba, NY, native. University at Buffalo alum. Adopted son of Baltimore and St. Louis. Not a CPA, but I play one on TV. EOS implementer, speaker, author, writer.
(59) @dashching - Chye-Ching Huang – Tax, budget, economy, law, policy. US & NZ. Deputy Director Federal Tax @CenteronBudget. Tweets not on US fiscal policy aren’t for CBPP
(60) @Howard_Gleckman - Howard Gleckman – Author, Caring for Our Parents, Urban Institute
(61) @jberryjohnson - Janet Berry-Johnson – I’m Janet Berry-Johnson. Freelance writer and CPA. Contributor at Forbes, Credit Karma, FreshBooks, Magnify Money, Accounting Principals & more.
(62) @JoeTaxpayerBlog - Joe Taxpayer – Father, Husband, Puppy Person, Friend, Financial Blogger, in that order, mostly. Likes are good, ReTweets are Great!
(65) @M_SullivanTax - Martin Sullivan – Chief Economist, Tax Analysts. Former Treasury, JCT staff. PhD Northwestern. See Washington Post feature by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Steven Pearlstein.
(70) @NKaeding - Nicole Kaeding – Director of Federal and Special Projects at Tax Foundation. Mom. Wife. Federal and state fiscal policy wonk. Views expressed are my own.
(73) @Saunderswsj – Laura Saunders – I write about taxes for The Wall Street Journal
(75) @SteveForbesCEO - Steve Forbes – Chairman & Editor-In-Chief, Forbes Media. Co-Author of REVIVING AMERICA.
(76) @TaxAddict - Tracy Shannon Levey – All Things #Tax, #Accounting & #Finance. Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow. Co-Founder Parker Tax Publishing. Opinions are my own.
(78) @taxmOuth - Free Tax Help – Tax help, answers, tips and news from federal and state tax officials, gurus, experts & authors for CPAs, tax attorneys and other tax pros. #taxes #tax #IRS
(79) @taxtweet - Kay Bell – Native Texan. Journalist. Tax Geek. Blogger. Houston Astros fan. Birder. Wife. Not always in that order. Follows and RTs = intrigue, not necessarily agreement.
Media, Publishers, Networks and Think Tanks (Twitter list):
(81) @AccountingToday - Accounting Today – Accounting Today, a SourceMedia brand, is the independent news and information resource for tax and accounting professionals.
(82) @Bloombergtax - Bloomberg Tax – Insights, practitioner-written white papers, and other essential resources to help you navigate all the changes to the Code and more.
(83) @CheckpointTax - Checkpoint Tax – Thomson Reuters Checkpoint® is the industry leader for research, guidance, news, CPE/training and marketing for tax, accounting and finance professionals.
(84) @IBFD_on_Tax – IBFD – Renowned as the authoritative portal for cross-border taxation, IBFD utilizes its global network of tax experts to remain at the forefront of global tax info.
(89) @TaxPolicyCenter - Tax Policy Center – Independent, timely, accessible analyses of current and emerging tax policy issues. (Links/RTs/favorites/follows/etc. are not endorsements.)
(90) @WKTAAUS - WK TAA US – Official Twitter account for Wolters Kluwer Tax and Accounting in the United States.
Tax Professors and Other Learned Tax Geeks (Twitter List):
(92) @DeathNTaxesProf - Goldburn P. Maynard Jr. – Law professor @louisvillelaw. I teach tax, elder law, and gratuitous transfers.
(93) @EOTaxProf - Philip Hackney – #LawProf #taxprof, fmr DC IRS chief counsel atty & fmr Baker Botts atty; write & speak abt tax, #nonprofits, IRS, public policy, campaign finance, #darkmoney
(94) @JudithFreedman - Judith Freedman – Oxford Professor of Tax Law, British Tax Review editor, school governor, grandmother of 4. Here in personal capacity, not representing views of any organisation
(98) @ProfRuthMason – Ruth Mason – Tax professor at UVA Law. I write on U.S. state and EU taxation.
(99) @SoCalTaxProf – Paul Caron – TaxProf Blog: The #1 tax blog on the Internet. Dean and Tax Professor at Pepperdine Law School
(100) @XavierRoberson - Xavier Oberson – Teacher. Swiss / International Tax Law Geneva University; Partner Oberson Abels; # TaxTwitter ; # AI # Robots ; Montreux Jazz Festival board; electric guitar player.
And don’t forget me: @taxgirl.
To subscribe to all of the accounts in a category, click on the Twitter list link following the category head. Note that the category heads are for convenience – in practice, some folks could fall in more than one category. To subscribe to all 100 Twitter accounts on the list, click here.
Keep in mind that this list is subjective. There’s no fancy algorithm or poll. I don’t count tweets or followers, though I do take into consideration type and timeliness of tweets.
If you find yourself on this list, congrats. That’s all there is. There are no fancy badges or banners, nothing that makes you any more special than you were a few moments ago except that you know that I like you, I really, really like you.
If you’re not on the list, that likewise doesn’t mean anything. Every year, I receive emails critiquing and questioning the list. I do take suggestions and the list is constantly changing. The goal is to have a variety of accounts with great information from different sources and perspectives. I target feeds with a clear focus on tax as opposed to finance or the economy. If you’ve been on lists in prior years but aren’t on this year, don’t take it personally: There’s just so much useful information out there. And if I didn’t include an account that I should include next year, you can kindly let me know (kindly being the operative word).
One more thing: if you tweet about tax and I’m not following you, please @taxgirl on Twitter and let me know. Additionally, if you are a tax pro and are not included on my Twittering Tax Pro list, please @taxgirl and let me know to add you.
Thanks and tweet on.
* The IRS has a number of media spokespersons, including some for individual regions. Here are some of the most active on Twitter:
- @BillB_IRS - William Brunson – IRS Spokesperson for AZ, MT, NM & UT.
- @ChristopherIRS - Christopher – IRS Media Relations for Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.
- @David_IRS - David Tucker – IRS Media Relations – WA, AK, HI, OR and Northern CA.
- @KC_IRS - Karen Connelly – IRS contact for CO, ID, WY, ND, SD, MN media.
- @Luis_IRS - Luis Garcia – IRS Spokesman for MI, IN, OH, KY, PA, NH, RI, WV, NC, SC & MD
- @raphyIRS – raps t – San Diego-based IRS Spokesman for So Cal, SF Bay Area & NV.
- @MichaelD_IRS - Michael Devine – IRS Media Relations.
- @Sanford_IRS - Clay Sanford – IRS Media Relations.